Library staff at Hastings Secondary College play an integral role in the school’s reading culture and the development of engaged and skilled readers who enjoy reading for pleasure. Digital technology has changed the way students access information and our libraries at Hastings Secondary College have evolved to provide connectivity where students gather and share their enjoyment of various interests.
Library staff support reading engagement by:
- Celebrating annual reading focused events.
- Creating displays that encourage reading.
- Interacting with individual students in ways that build their reading confidence and encourages them to read for pleasure.
- Working with teachers to develop reading programs and activities.
- Providing in-library group reading opportunities for classes.
- Organising fiction and non-fiction collections so it is easy for students to browse.
- Allowing students to select their own reading material.
- Reviewing library guidelines and policies to increase their reader-friendly focus. PLEASE PROVIDE ALL GUIDELINES AND POLICIES YOU WANT UPLOADED
- Developing diverse collections that will appeal to a wide range of students.
- Promoting a wide range of inclusive reading material in multiple formats.
The Smartcopying website External link is the official guide for all copyright issues for Australian schools.
It includes a range of guides, information sheets, FAQs, legal requirements and resources. Visit this site for the latest, authoritative information and guidance.
ScanExternal link refereed journal offers engaging professional support for all educators including information on teaching and learning in a digital age and resource reviews relevant to curriculum priorities.
The School MagazineExternal link is Australia's most loved and longest running literary magazine for children. A School Magazine subscriptionExternal link gives students access to high quality texts, richly illustrated and filled with engaging characters and teachers access to teaching guides with quality lesson ideas, worksheets and extension activities.