Years 7, 11 and 12 commence Friday 29 January. Week A
At high school orientation
At your child's Year 7 orientation day parents were provided with information about:
- School uniforms (including sports uniforms) – where and when to buy them.
- A map of the school to identify buildings, entry points and bike racks.
- Note school start and finish times.
- safe travel routes to and from school, and find out about forms for your teen’s travel pass or subsidy if applicable.
- Details on programs the school offers.
- List of book packs and school supplies.
- How you can become involved in the school.
- Connection with the school facebook, newsletters, p and c and parent lounge.
- Buy school uniforms, books, stationery, school bag, drink bottle, house key, and any other supplies. Dates can be found on the College website under your campus.
- Label everything.
- Break in school shoes to make them more comfortable.
- Practise travelling to and from school with your teen using their new transport or travel route.
- Teach them how to read the timetable for the bus, train or ferry as appropriate.
- Join your Hastings Secondary College Facebook page.
- Register for your campus newsletter. You can subscribe from the College website under your campus.
- Talk positively to your teen about the move to high school.
- Ask them what’s exciting about high school. Does anything worry them?
- Make sure your teen has a quiet work area and extra stationery supplies.
- Organise personal hygiene items in school bags.
- Decide what your teen will do before and after school, and what time they need to be home.
- Discuss emergency and safety issues with them.
The first day
- Help set your teen’s alarm. Encourage them to get themselves ready on time.
- Provide your teen with money and your contact numbers in case of emergencies.
- Make sure you have the school’s phone number and email with you.
The first week
- Photocopy school timetables to place in school diaries, inside locker doors and on the fridge.
- Remind your teen to note all assignments, homework and events in their diary.
- Check through the timetable each night while your teen packs their bag. Encourage your teen to eat healthy food and get a good night’s sleep.
- Give the school your current contact details.