Dear Parents and Carers
The current restrictions in the Port Macquarie-Hastings LGA will be eased as planned from 12:01am on Saturday 11 September 2021, meaning our school will move to operating under Level 3 conditions as part of our COVID-safe return to school roadmap.
This means all our students (excluding Year 11 who will continue their online scheduled assessments) will be expected back for face-to-face learning on-site, Monday 13 September, Week B. The best learning environment for students is in the classroom and we are looking forward to welcoming everyone back for the remainder of this term.
This time will be invaluable in re-establishing relationships and reconnecting as a class and College community.
Here’s what our families and students can expect when returning to campus sites under COVID-safe Level 3 conditions:
- Staff will be required to wear masks indoors and outdoors while on campus grounds.
- Students Year 7-12 will also be required to wear masks indoors and outdoors on campus grounds
- There will be no face-to-face school assemblies, sport, excursions or field trips. Year Assemblies will take place Period 1 every day online.
- Cross campus courses for Year 12 will recommence Monday 13 September, Week B
- Year 11 are to continue to complete their scheduled assessments online as previously communicated. This information has been communicated to Year 11 students via their google classrooms. Year 11 students are not expected to be onsite.
- Only essential visitors will be allowed on-site and will be required to check-in and wear masks at all times.
- Our Canteens are open with appropriate hygiene measures in place.
- Parents and carers will need to remain outside of campus grounds and follow physical distancing and avoid gathering for drop-offs and pick-ups.
- There will be enhanced daily cleaning of our campuses and wherever possible we will ensure classrooms will be well-ventilated with open windows.
- Students are expected to be in full campus uniform.
- Students are expected to have mobile phones in their Yondr pouches in line with the College mobile phone policy.
We have worked closely with NSW Health in developing our return to school roadmap and COVID-safe school plan. NSW Health will continue to monitor vaccination rates and transmission levels in our LGA and will advise us if settings need re-evaluation.
We are continuing to work closely with NSW Health and other relevant authorities to support our school staff to receive 2 doses of a COVID-19 vaccination by 8 November. This will help protect our staff and students.
All students are expected - and will be supported - to return to school for face-to-face learning. While I know this may be an uncertain time for some students and parents I do encourage you to get in touch with us directly and visit the Wellbeing for students and families page for support materials.
I know that there will be some students and some of you who have personal concerns about returning to campus sites, or are waiting to see how things progress after this current lockdown period. Can I encourage you to visit the COVID-19 Advice for families for the wellbeing Handy Hints guides for students, parents and carers, and school staff.
Thank you for your ongoing support. I look forward to seeing our students and staff back in the classrooms.
Hastings Secondary College