Dear Parents and Carers
You are doing a fantastic job, and we are so very proud of you all.
I know it is confusing and challenging at the moment, so do not be too hard on yourself.
If I could, I would declare Monday as ‘Fun Day Monday’ and give you a break… just to let you rest and let things be.
I have no power to declare this – but I would like to offer some alternatives to the learning day:
- Have your child(ren) do some mathematics by measuring ingredients to make a meal. What a great time to choose a night which is your night off. This is the night that the kids cook for you.
- Have your child(ren) do some English by watching a movie. Not any movie, a movie you select and discuss with them; how the film made them feel, would you watch it again? why/why not, how would a second viewing be different, how would different people view this movie differently (dependent on their gender, age, ethnic background and worldview).
- Have your child(ren) do some chemistry – they wash white clothes separate to colours, hang out the clothes and check which ones dry the fastest…. Take off the line and fold. Surely folding the clothes has to be a lesson in geometry.
- Have your child(ren) step outside at different points of the day to give you a break also – this is definitely geography. Throw in some exercise, and your PDHPE lesson is done.
- Have your child(ren) to make you a cup of coffee or tea. Allow yourself to sit down with your feet up. This is the study of relaxation (yours not theirs).
I am sure that I could find ways to align vacuuming, putting out the garbage, unstacking the dishwasher, making their beds or tidying their rooms.
Have a great week, take care and be kind to each other.
Hastings Secondary College