Dear parents and caregivers,
Following Hastings Secondary College's SMS message sent to parents and carers on Tuesday 8 September regarding a very graphic video of a suicide circulating social media, students have been advised of the consequences of having this content on their phone, sharing or showing other students.
We advocate to all our students and parents to act safely and responsibly on all social media platforms.
If students have this content on their phone, the content should be deleted immediately. If a student is caught showing another student or sharing content, their phone will be confiscated; there will be police intervention, parents will be contacted and this may result in disciplinary action, including suspension. We cannot be clear enough about this - it is damaging to students, staff, and community. This behaviour will not be tolerated at Hastings Secondary College.
The eSafety Commission has contacted social media companies about the reports and will continue working with them to monitor the situation.
If your child/ren come to you saying that they have viewed it, we suggest the following advice:
- Stay calm.
- Applaud them for having the courage to start this conversation with you and let them talk about the matter with you. It's not a good idea to watch the video yourself or ask your child to show you the video, no matter how curious you are.
- We are encouraging people who encounter this content to report it to the social media platform they’ve seen it on, or to eSafety at www.esafety.gov.au/report/illegal-harmful-content.
- If a life is in danger call Triple Zero (000) right now.
Please encourage anyone who may be at risk or experiencing emotional distress, including worried family and friends, to contact one of the following services:
- Kids Helpline. 1800 55 1800. Phone support is there all day, every day. Online support is open from 8 am-midnight every day (AEST).
- Suicide Callback Service. 1300 659 467. Phone support all day, every day, and follow-up calls.
- eHeadspace. 1800 650 890. Open 9am-1am daily (AEST).
- Lifeline. 13 11 14. Phone support all day, every day. Online support 7 pm-4 am daily (AEST).
- Beyondblue. 1300 22 4636. Phone support all day, every day. Online support 3 pm-midnight every day.
Thank you for your support as we work together to keep our young people and community safe.